Item Title

Item Description
This game is no longer supported. All play is at your own risk. X

Just got my Wrangler back from the shop and they used the wrong diff fluid – should I be worried?

26 days ago  #1
Level 1
Status: offline
Prison: New Jersey
Incarcerated: 1 month, 7 days
Posts: 11

So I took my 2020 Wrangler Rubicon in for a routine diff service at a place near my office in Dubai because I noticed some slight whining from the rear end and wanted to get it checked out before it became a bigger problem. They said everything looked fine internally and just did a fluid change, but when I got home and checked the receipt, I noticed they used a standard 80W-90 gear oil instead of the Mopar friction modifier stuff that the Rubicon requires for the limited-slip rear diff. Now I'm sitting here wondering if I'm being overly paranoid or if this is actually a serious issue that could damage the LSD over time. I've been reading through some Jeep forums and apparently using the wrong fluid can cause chattering, premature wear, and eventually total failure of the diff clutches, which is definitely not something I want to deal with. The shop is a general garage that works on all kinds of cars, and I'm starting to think they just didn't bother to check the spec for the Rubicon specifically because they assumed it was the same as the Sport or Sahara models. I'm seriously considering taking it somewhere that actually specializes in Jeeps to have them drain it and put the correct fluid in, because I don't want to risk damaging an expensive component just to save a few bucks on the service. I've been looking around for Professional Jeep maintenance in Musaffah Industrial Area since I work nearby and it would be convenient to drop it off, but I want to make sure I find a place that actually knows the difference between the various Wrangler models and uses the proper spec fluids and parts. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a shop using the wrong oil, and am I right to be concerned about this or am I just overthinking it? I'd really appreciate some advice from people who know these vehicles better than I do before I go back to the original shop and make a fuss about it.

 

Quick Reply

You are unable to reply to this thread