Item Title

Item Description

For Mentors, new players, and established players

12 years ago  #1
Level 28
Prison: South Dakota
Incarcerated: 14 years, 21 days

I'm not sure how this thread will be received, but I feel like it's been missing.  Following are a few thoughts I've had, and things I've learned as a mentor over the last few weeks.  I hope the other mentors will add their own thoughts in here, and maybe help new players find the person that is a good fit for them.

For New Players

• http://www.prisonblock.com/mentors
  • Mentors volunteer to help new inmates learn the ropes. In exchange for their kindness, please show them respect.

• Ask them for help, but do not leech off of them. Do not beg or demand, they are NOT obligated to help you in ANY way.

• This is not an easy game when you are first starting, but there are a lot of resources all new players should get familiar with, before digging into the game, and especially before mailing and asking another random player for freebies.... http://www.prisonblock.com/tutorial, http://wiki.prisonblock.com/Main_Page, as well as all the stickies in each and every forum.
  • I believe most mentors volunteered because they really did want to help keep new players excited about the game, and keep them coming back, but I'm not sure how many would be willing to send you money, items, or amenities when you've been playing for just a few hours, or even a few days and haven't had time to discover all that Prison Block has to offer.  However, if you've used the resources available to you, I think every one of us would be more than happy to answer any questions you still have.
  • If the others are like me, we don't like to say no, or in more severe cases, ignore your mail all together, so don't be afraid to mail any of us, just try to put a bit of thought into what you want to ask.
For Established Players

• When someone does mail you asking for items or amenities, or creates a thread on the forums asking for items or amenities, it's not really appreciated to tell them to "contact a mentor".  If you want to help out yourself, I think that's great, talk to a mentor and arrange to have items or cash passed on to new players.  We will take care of it for you, but with anywhere between 4 and 40 mails a day, we can't possibly send things to every single person that contacts us, much less the ones that create a thread asking for help. 
  • Mentors may help you send items to another player that you want to help out, but are under no obligation to do so.  We run the same risk as anyone if for some reason you are marked as dupes with that person.
Me personally

• As it says, I've played this game for 1 year, 4 months.  I'm in the same time zone as game time, so depending on my schedule, i'm here off and on from 7am until 9 or 10pm.  I asked to become a mentor as soon as the opportunity was available, I was tired of playing hardcore every day, but I was still online most of the time, and have always enjoyed helping new players and watching as they grow over time.  I still look at everything very closely, so if you have any questions about making money or earning favors, questions about other players, training, raiding, or criming, I think I'm a good person to ask.
Q&A

Q: will you send me xxxxxxx?

A: chances are, if you've been playing less than a week and/or i've never talked to you before, no. 

Q: will you send these items to xxxxxx for me?

A: unless i know you very well, no.  i won't risk getting myself in trouble for anyone.  even for basic items, i'd rather just use my own to avoid the trouble.  i will never send amenities to anyone.

Q: what is the best way to level up quickly?

A: don't be in such a rush.  level won't get you as far in this game as really understanding it will.  if you have to know, mug, but your stats will be awful for your level, and you'll make more enemies along the way than you want.

Q: how can i join a gang?

A: You'll get more invites than you want if you stay active, but take your time and join the right one.  Most good gangs won't recruit until you can at least make it out of New Jersey.  The really good ones won't bother until you can get to Arizona or South Dakota.

Q: Can i join your gang?

A: Definitely no talk to me again in a few months

Q: can you take care of xxxxxx for me?

A: no, i think every single person that's played here has taken their beatings at one time or another.  keep hitting the gym, get stronger than them, and you'll be surprised just how respectful people can be all of a sudden.

Q: can you mentor me?

A: this is the one i get most often, and of course the answer is yes, but i'd prefer if you gave me an actual question.  I do get a lot of mail every day, so playing 20 questions isn't one of my favorite things to do.

In closing, welcome to all the new players.  You have found one of the most in depth games and addictive games on the internet, and you can pretty much abandon all hope, but you're also going to have a lot of fun while you're here, and I do look forward to helping some of you find half as much enjoyment as i've gotten out of Prison Block.

12 years ago  #2
Level 32
Incarcerated: 13 years, 4 months

i like this thread steve

12 years ago  #3
Level 28
Incarcerated: 14 years, 21 days

Originally posted by dayna i like this thread steve

it helps because i'm awesome

12 years ago  #4
Level 34
Gang: The V_GUNs
Incarcerated: 14 years, 3 months

Yeah nice thread steve...

I don't operate game time... as i live in New Zealand (game time midnight is 4, 5 or 6pm the day ahead, depending on daylight savings) and also i work and check in from my phone so sometimes people will message me and i don't get back to them when i am at work... don't take offense... once i am home i will definitely get back to people...

People often donate items for me to give to new players... don't ask for them... i will give you one "food basket" only... i won't give you items if you are in a gang as they should be supporting your training...

We still have to crime, train, and fight, mug or raid... none of that changes just cause i am a mentor... i wanna have fun on here too... so be patient if it takes a little for us to get back to you...

And don't send me a message that only says "help" ...

WE ARE NOT STAFF so i can't fix stuff that is staff related... but might be able to help you if you can't figure out what is going on and wanna check before you bug them...

For players who are established... if you get beggers... send them to the friendly reminders thread... not to me... or the other mentors... http://www.prisonblock.com/forums/Friendly-reminder-to-new-players-t9641.html

the game is great... it is fun, addictive and full of interesting people... we need new players.. so be nice to them... and maybe they will stick around and be nice to you... :shrugs: we were all noobs once... and for many of us the game was a lot different when we started than it is now... try and remember what it felt like to be lost... to have to try and find amens... and to try and understand how things worked... i will never forget the first time i had to deal with a high level player who wanted to buy my blunts for 2500 ... said i was asking too much... that player now gets naught off me... and they were 10 levels above me at time... funny how things can change...

Anyway... so many people help others on here... not just us... so big thanks to everyone who gives a little of their time to others

12 years ago  #5
Level 23
Gang: Disciples of Bino
Incarcerated: 14 years, 2 months

nice thread

12 years ago  #6
Level 18
Incarcerated: 13 years, 6 months

So true, So true. I usually try to help New Members out with chocolates, the ones that are showing interest in learning in the game and are actually being active and I can see they are training and enjoying the game.

Great thread.

12 years ago  #7
Level 20
Gang: The Order

its a fantastic thread, in my introduction speech i give them i tell them straight up that i will not give them any items if asked for or amenities, it helps them cool down a bit but not always

12 years ago  #8
Level 32
Incarcerated: 13 years, 4 months

all they want is a handout and 99% of the time i just give it em unless they be rude or i suspect they have played before but yeh usually i send em some cash and there happy most ppl dont ask for advice but when they do i give them it thing is with me i think maybe new ppl shud gt a starter pack of amens for example 1 tv on crate 1 dvd player 1metal fan 1 computer chair 1 megaslayer cd or something like that not 2 much but not 2 little its harder than its ever been for new players 2 get amens and a lil something 2 start em off could go a long way might even convince ppl 2 buy favors and get those vital cell openings

12 years ago  #9
Level 18

Originally posted by dayna all they want is a handout and 99% of the time i just give it em unless they be rude or i suspect they have played before but yeh usually i send em some cash and there happy most ppl dont ask for advice but when they do i give them it thing is with me i think maybe new ppl shud gt a starter pack of amens for example 1 tv on crate 1 dvd player 1metal fan 1 computer chair 1 megaslayer cd or something like that not 2 much but not 2 little its harder than its ever been for new players 2 get amens and a lil something 2 start em off could go a long way might even convince ppl 2 buy favors and get those vital cell openings

This would truly go a long way I believe. I remember how hard it was to get ammens before I put money into the game.

Starting them off with the basic ammenities I think would really make them wanna stick around and learn the game.

12 years ago  #10
Level 32
Gang: Supreme Black Hand
Incarcerated: 13 years, 7 months

Originally posted by Leah80
Originally posted by dayna all they want is a handout and 99% of the time i just give it em unless they be rude or i suspect they have played before but yeh usually i send em some cash and there happy most ppl dont ask for advice but when they do i give them it thing is with me i think maybe new ppl shud gt a starter pack of amens for example 1 tv on crate 1 dvd player 1metal fan 1 computer chair 1 megaslayer cd or something like that not 2 much but not 2 little its harder than its ever been for new players 2 get amens and a lil something 2 start em off could go a long way might even convince ppl 2 buy favors and get those vital cell openings

This would truly go a long way I believe. I remember how hard it was to get ammens before I put money into the game.

Starting them off with the basic ammenities I think would really make them wanna stick around and learn the game.

I have to agree i think people would understand amens more to because lets be reall not every one reads the wiki so a starter pack could skool them

I'm the blue dream, strawberry kushman bang bang indica gang we smoke good strains���� You can't send a message to yourself Got caught smokin' a blunt!

Quick Reply

You are unable to reply to this thread